Sunday, January 10, 2016

AGNES DEAN: 7 MAY 1929 - 6 JANUARY 2016



I traveled to Alabama on Friday, 8 January, met with some BJJ folks for a bit, spent the night with my Nanny, and met with my sister and her husband on Saturday morning. The entire purpose of the trip, however, was to offer support to the extended family on my dad's side by being there for Agnes' funeral in the Troy area.

Agnes, who is my grandfather's baby sister, will always be the "crazy" great aunt. Though completely sane, she was able to say what was real about events without being crude, rude, or insensitive. She made me laugh at the funeral home for my grandmother (her sister-in-law) with a well-timed joke that only she and I could hear, called and talked to me for extended periods following two painful/stressful life events (first brain surgery; daughter's premature birth and stay in the NICU), and thanked me for remembering her with Christmas cards.

The posted picture, according to Agnes' daughter, is her favorite. I think it is fitting and is how I will choose to remember her.


http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Agnes-Dean&lc=1507&pid=177180339&mid=6747021

No comments:

Post a Comment