Sunday, August 7, 2011

SATURDAY 6 AUGUST

In BJJ, I worked on half-guard replacements again. It seems that I need to become more familiar with Master Gordo's system.

Tom, a Victor Huber blue belt and occasional judo visitor, dropped in for Greg's class. I have never had the opportunity to randori with Tom, but Saturday was a first. I was able to use the techniques that we've learned over the past year and a half to my advantage. I secured two nasty uchi-mata (I landed on him way too hard...sorry Tom), a tani-otoshi (crash landing again...sorry Tom), a counter to a hip throw we practiced this evening, and an o-uchi-gari (good control on my part). I think all of these would have scored ippon. I missed a foot sweep because I did not continue the pull straight down on the gi.

The big learning for the night was on the throw I missed and how to land a bit gentler (Ethan was also on the receiving end of uchi-mata). I have the mentality of not wanting to give up position since, as a BJJ guy and wrestler, the fight continues on the ground even if the throw is an ippon. Also, since I am not that good at judo, my technique is not fluid, so my landings are more like crashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment